Charlie wrote:
On January 6, 2003 06:55 am, Robin Turner wrote:
<snip>

If people remember to put "OT" in the header, yes.  However, I'm not
sure how you do it client-side to prevent the message from being
downloaded in the first place, which is the real problem for people with
low (and maybe expensive) bandwidth.
The client-side doesn't mind receiving a couple of OT messages but unfortunately the action must be implemented by the sender of the message.

If the OT gets too frequent; as it sometimes does on one of the lists I'm subscribed to, I just activate an "OT pop filter" in K-Mail and it never leaves the mail server.
Wouldn't that be nice if the POP mail system could do that! In my experience, using Netscape and Mozilla mail, I either download all the messages from the ISP or none.

> Usually (once a week or thereabouts) I'll use the ISP's web-mail interface

and delete the 'download later' messages after browsing through them for any interesting tidbits.
Would love to do that but decent bandwidth in this country is non existent and expensive to boot to use the POTS.

I do not want to be a nuisance to others, but nor should they be a
nuisance to me.

I'd never characterize Anne as any sort of nuisance. The occasional OT on this list is nearly always fun; at least until some "list Nazi" gets a "wild hair across his arse."
The 'wild hair' was actually across my brain and wallet when I realized I had just spent a fortune downloading a whole lot of OT messages.

Quite.  I don't mind people requesting that a discussion should be
continued elsewhere, but they should be polite about it, especially when
 some of the participants have "paid their dues" on this list enough to
be allowed to indulge in a little silliness on occasion.
Hear ,Hear

Total agreement.
If I recall rightly, the whole thing started with a question about KDE
or GNOME - that is one subject we should definitely ban ;-)
CONTINUED discussion needs banning yes, as I mean, how long/many messages can it take to convince someone it is up to personal preference.

That was one. Another was a (sort of) reference to a tag at the end of a post mentioning that I was going to see Star Trek Nemesis on opening night. I dropped the subject in deference to others that hadn't seen it yet, but wanted to, so I wouldn't spoil it for them.
I am sure some Trekkers are glad you didn't spoil it for them. I personally do not think it has anything to do with the linux [newbie] group.

I didn't think much of the movie BTW. I'm glad it wasn't my money that paid admission for it. <g>

Sir Robin
Hylton Conacher - Registered Linux user # 229959
Using Linux Mandrake 9.0 with KDE 3 on a 2.4.19-16mdk kernel
Licenced Windows user