----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Internet Connection Problem (long, sorry!)

<snipped all>
Anne,

I used the wizard in MCC to set up the connection again, then used the
Mozilla wizard to set up my account, but still no luck.

As eurobell failed to give a sensible answer to my question about
authentication protocol, I tried all the options! This is what I got...

As PAP:
Failed to connect to server mail.eurobell.co.uk

As CHAP:
Failed to connect to server mail.eurobell.co.uk

As Terminal-based:
Gave me a terminal screen where I put in my username, then I got
The pppd daemon died unexpectedly
Exit status:16

As Script-based:
The pppd daemon died unexpectedly
Exit status:16

Consulted man pppd - found that Exit status 16 = The link was terminated by
the modem hanging up.

Originally I thought the problem might be failure of the hardware module
located between chair and keyboard - I have ME, and sometimes my brain gets
a bit foggy! Now I think it is more likely that eurobell has some weird
setup that they can't understand themselves, let alone explain to other
people!

So perhaps the answer is just that I need to use a different ISP? I've
started a new thread asking for recommendations...

Meanwhile, I don't feel inclined to waste any more of my time or yours on
this problem - I'm sure we've all got better things to do - but big thanks
to Anne and all others for help so far.

Margot