On Friday 31 January 2003 02:27 am, Margot wrote:
> [...]

OK I am late in on this thread, but let's see

You have PAP on their end without a doubt.

If you are using 9.0, then you need to erase the GATEWAY=xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa entry
in /etc/sysconfig/network.  Script error causes a big problem with ppp
connections by demanding a gateway that cannot point to ppp0.

Now on to firewalling.  If you use the command line, likely you will need to
bring up a terminal window and su first then give the root password

# iptables -L

is the instruction to list all the tables and any rules within

if you have tables and there are policies or rules in effect, you need to

iptables -F OUTPUT
iptables -F INPUT
iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

to turn off filtering entirely.

Now if iptables does not work at all, then you do not have it loaded and no
firewalling can be present, so firewalling would not be your problem

An OLD OLD error was /etc/ppp/options

it should be the following

lock
noauth
noipdefault
usepeerdns

The usepeerdns can be eliminated if you set up your own dns pointers, but the
noauth is critically important.  When it is absent, the server is required to
authenticate itself to your PC and that dialog could produce the hangup
behavior you speak of.

OTHER problems could be the protocol of your modem vs their protocol.  If both
are not using V.92, this could be the case.  In that case, change modems or
change ISPs.

Civileme