----- Original Message -----
From: "civileme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Internet Connection Problem (long, sorry!)

Civileme,

Thanks for offering help. I think I've done all you suggested (see below),
but I still get "Failed to connect to server mail.eurobell.co.uk" when I try
to retrieve emails through mozilla.

> OK I am late in on this thread, but let's see
>
> You have PAP on their end without a doubt.

OK, have set it to PAP

> If you are using 9.0, then you need to erase the GATEWAY=xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa
entry
> in /etc/sysconfig/network.  Script error causes a big problem with ppp
> connections by demanding a gateway that cannot point to ppp0.

OK, done that.

> Now on to firewalling.  If you use the command line, likely you will need
> bring up a terminal window and su first then give the root password
>

> # iptables -L
>
> is the instruction to list all the tables and any rules within
>
> if you have tables and there are policies or rules in effect, you need to
>
> iptables -F OUTPUT
> iptables -F INPUT
> iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
> iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

OK, done all those - didn't get any response, but at least no error
messages. I'm not all that familiar with command line - does no response
mean the command has been accepted?

> to turn off filtering entirely.
>
> Now if iptables does not work at all, then you do not have it loaded and
no
> firewalling can be present, so firewalling would not be your problem
>
> An OLD OLD error was /etc/ppp/options
>
> it should be the following
>
> lock
> noauth
> noipdefault
> usepeerdns

That is exactly what I have.

> The usepeerdns can be eliminated if you set up your own dns pointers,

Should I eliminate usepeerdns?

>but the
> noauth is critically important.  When it is absent, the server is required
> authenticate itself to your PC and that dialog could produce the hangup
> behavior you speak of.
>
> OTHER problems could be the protocol of your modem vs their protocol.  If
both
> are not using V.92, this could be the case.  In that case, change modems
or
> change ISPs.
>
> Civileme

The modem is the one I have been using for 2 years to connect to this ISP,
but on the old Win 98 machine (which I'm using now to send this message), so
I assume the modem and the ISP are compatible. When I got the new linux
machine I was told I didn't need a new modem as the existing one would be
OK - it is 3Com US Robotics 56K.

Margot