On Wednesday 29 Jan 2003 7:53 pm, Margot wrote:

> TCP/IP settings from windoze machine:
> All the following are checked:
> Server assigned IP address
> Server assigned name server address
> Use IP header compression
> Use default gateway on remote network
>
> The servers are:
> POP server: pop.eurobell.co.uk
> SMTP server: mail.eurobell.co.uk
> News server: news.eurobell.co.uk

OK - let's try to sort this out.  I'm on adsl now, so I haven't set a
connection up like this under 9.0, but I've got the manual in front of me, so
it should prompt the memory.

In MCC, open Network & Internet, then Connection.  You should see your present
connection listed there.  If you are on a lan, you will see that too.  If I
remember correctly, under 8.2 it was difficult to do anything useful to the
profile without clicking on the Expert button, which then allowed you to
choose between amending the lan connection and amending the internet
connection.  This allows manual configuration.  If you are not on a lan, I
presume that you will not need that.  Anyway, we'll try the wizard way first.

Connection name - Eurobell
Phone number - your dial-in number - since you're on adsl this will not be an
option, I guess.
Login ID - as issued by Eurobell - just the same as you need in windows
Password - ditto
Authentication - Eurobell should have told you the type to use.  If they
haven't you will have to experiment.  I think CHAP is the most common.
Domain name - eurobell.co.uk
First DNS Server - Eurobell should have given you at least one dns server ip,
preferrably two.  The wizard says 'Optional' but do put them in.

That should be all you need to connect.  From what you have said before I'm
guessing that you probably have this part right, except, possibly the dns
server ip.  You would be able to connect, but may not be able to surf if you
don't have that ip in your configuration.

To get email and news you then have to set up a client.  I'll give you the
setting for Mozilla, because it does both email and news.  You can apply
pretty much the same to any other clients you choose.

When you first go to Moz Mail & Newsgroups it runs a wizard.  If this has
already been done while you were experimenting, you can make changes by
clicking on the top line of the account you set up, then selecting 'View
Settings for thie Account'.

First screen
Account name - theoretically it can be anything you like, but it's safest to
call it by your Eurobell login name - some clients use this field for logging
in.
Your Name - Margot
Email Address - your usual address
Reply-to-Address - don't set this unless you want replies to go to a different
account.  It causes problems for the list.
Compose messages in html - unchecked

Server Settings (second screen, from left-hand menu)
Server Name - mail.eurobell.co.uk
User name - As given to you by Eurobell - the one you use to log in
Port - usually set to 110
Make your selections from the next set of boxes.  If you are going to
experiment with several clients, select 'Leave messages on server@'for all
but one of them.
For the local directory, leave the default.

Copies & Folders
I like to select Place a copy in Local Folders for all sections - you keep
copies on your hdd then.  I like to feel in control
The rest of the pages you can leave at default.

Go down the left-hand column then to Outgoing Server (SMTP)
This screen is important.
Server Name - smtp.eurobell.co.uk
Use name and password - this depends on the isp.  Try without it.  If it
doesn't work set it to the ones you need for Eurobell.  Some smtp servers use
it, some don't and will bounce your mail if you tick it.

That should get you mail.

Setting up a mail server is almost exactly the same.

Try all that and let us know what happens.  If it still doesn't work, try to
note down exactly how far you get - what happens, and when it stops
responding.

HTH

Anne
--