On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, you wrote:

> Thanks, I have since discovered that my system may have another problem -
> this tar command (generically) appears to do nothing, there is a long wait
> while nothing actually happens!  On the plus side it does not actually crash
> ;-) and ctrl C gets me the cursor back.

How are you calling "tar"??? Be sure whatever command
you're using includes the "f" switch (as in tar xvf) to
tell it you're referring to a file, not a local console,
etc.
> I have noticed
> also that when I issue "shutdown -h now" that it claims
> the  sytem is halted - but after a brief pause it then
> says it can't acknowledge  a page request of some kind,
> and after much meaningless (to me at least) > output
> finishes off suggesting there's a segmentation error. Now
> this as far as I know it has always done, but I have not
> seen the core dump go into > action before. >  > Since
> it's already claimed that system has been halted, does the
> seg error actually matter anymore? After all it shows up
> after everyone else has gone > home for the day! (ie after
> halted)

Don't sweat it. It's a buglet. There's a minor work-around
for this. Go to the linux-mandrake "newbie" archives:
http://mail-archive.com/newbie@linux-mandrake.com/
and search for "gpf on shutdown" or go directly to the
following message URL:
http://www.mail-archive.com/newbie@linux-mandrake.com/msg11666.html