----- Original Message -----
From: Steve Philp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 1999 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Ears don't work

> bay56 wrote:

I'm not convinced a past discussion confirms all that much myself - now if
this machine did not shut down right with the other OS I'd say you had a
point - because that would put it firmly in the category of flawed apm/acpi
machines that most of us that care already know all about. There are a lot
of machines which display the tendency not to work right in this dept.
However if in this instance this machine can perform this function, I am
lead to the conclusion that an os issueing the commands CAN make it happen
on this set of kit - so why not just issue the right commands - evidently
something else is happening here - otherwise it would not shutdown correctly
in BOTH cases.

Now whether there's a case for a further reduced hardware list to be
introduced making certain models of mainboard and their bios sets "not
supported under linux" is another matter entirely.

> $200 motherboard or not, the BIOS vendor screwed up their
> implementation.

And what, in your opinion, have they done wrong?

> > So much for being able to set up reasonable cost linux system if he's
right!
> > (which I personally doubt, because it works fine under another OS!)
>
> A quick fix for the problem was already posted (remove the -p from the
> shutdown flags).

Done that - it causes new problems all of it's own. Which prevent it getting
that far in the shut down process.

> Want reasonable priced Linux systems?
> Try a nice surplus 386 ('course,
> you won't be able to run Mandrake on it).  You won't even have APM
> problems with it!

What? you trying to sell me something here? ;-)

> Ranting is one thing, but you've gone a little far...

Sorry officer did not see your badge - where you get that from then? I like
the bit where it says judge! ;-P

> > Slag my system all you like Ax, just make sure you got right on your
side
> > first. ;-)
>
> And make sure you've really read the messages about HOW to fix the
> problem before feeling insulted about a problem which DOES exist on your
> system.

I don't remember addressing this to you specifically - why the poor
attitude? - no matter

I have, and it's a broken fix under 6.1

Do you have anything empirical under 6.1 to offer?

Regards,
Ian

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.zap.to/atelier