On Sunday 16 March 2003 09:14 am, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:

> I doubt it is a memory problem. I am no hardware expert but had my
> share of misc. hardware problems and never had or heard of faulty
> memory causing immediate lock-ups.

Okay, just to be clear, the immediate (2 minutes or less) lockup is with
cpuburn only - normally the system sits and runs for hours and hours. Some
games segfault out (and the time varies there).

> I agree with the docs which suggest either bad cooling (fan, bad heat
> dissipation, ...) or bad power supply (power supply unit, connector,
> motherboard, ...) are probably causes.
>
> Ronald, what kind of power supply do you have? 230W, 300W? (or
> whatever is standard where you come from ;)

A less than 3 months old 350 watt power supply.

> Agreed. A good test (not for the faint-hearted :-) is to run with open
> case and use a hair-dryer or alike (on "cool" setting - or whatever
> that might be called) in direction of the CPU and see if it makes a
> difference in how long it needs until the CPU locks up.

I think I will try running with the case off to see if it does make a
difference.

> HTH,
>
>       Benjamin.

Thanks for the advice!