On Thursday 03 Apr 2003 12:03, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 03 Apr 2003 11:09 am, Douglas Bainbridge wrote:
> > <snip>
> > I've had problems with XCDroast,trying to copy data files. Following
> > all those steps (disabling all the rockridge, joliet options except
> > the one recommended for backup CDs) I was able to write out OK only on
> > one occasion.
> > Ever since then, everything goes fine until the actual burning, when
> > it terminates prematurely, having written for about 0.06s.Doesn't seem
> > to make any difference whether I try single or multi-session, CD-R or
> > CD-RW.
> > Any ideas?
> > (Sorry I can't give the exact error message - I don't have that PC
> > here; it's about 700 miles away)
>
> I've never had problems with burning data disks until I tried to burn
> this bootable one, which is why I thought it was linked with the boot
> image.  I normally add directories and files to the list, excluding
> unnecessary ones if the collection is too big.  If the last tab can
> calculate the sum without errors they burn fine - though it pays to burn
> at slowish speeds - 8x is right for most people.  I don't burn to an
> image, I burn straight to disk, and it works.
>
> Anne

There are two options, one is to create an ISO image on your disk and burn
from that (my preference as it avoids buffer underruns), the other is to
create an ISO image and burn to CD-R(RW) on the fly. In neither case do
you burn an ISO image.

The CD writing HOWTO explains how to create a bootable disk and in XCDRoast
the 'master tracks/boot options' tab allows you to specify that it is a
bootable CD ROM and identify the boot image etc.

--
Regards

Pete
Ardnamurchan    Scotland