On Thursday 03 Apr 2003 1:33 pm, pete wrote:
> On Thursda> > I've never had problems with burning data disks until I tried
to burn
> > this bootable one, which is why I thought it was linked with the boot
> > image.  I normally add directories and files to the list, excluding
> > unnecessary ones if the collection is too big.  If the last tab can
> > calculate the sum without errors they burn fine - though it pays to burn
> > at slowish speeds - 8x is right for most people.  I don't burn to an
> > image, I burn straight to disk, and it works.
> >
> > Anne

Hi, Pete

> There are two options, one is to create an ISO image on your disk and burn
> from that (my preference as it avoids buffer underruns), the other is to
> create an ISO image and burn to CD-R(RW) on the fly. In neither case do
> you burn an ISO image.

Semantics.  IIRC both Nero and Roxio refer to the process as 'burn an image'.
We both know what they mean.

> The CD writing HOWTO explains how to create a bootable disk and in XCDRoast
> the 'master tracks/boot options' tab allows you to specify that it is a
> bootable CD ROM and identify the boot image etc.

I've been burning disks for years, so I understand the process.  In this
context Douglas has said that he had been unable to burn a data disk (not a
bootable one, such as I was having a problem with) in XCDRoast.  The point I
was making was that I frequently burn data disks under XCDRoast and have
always found it reliable, even though I normally burn 'on the fly'.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302