I stand corrected. Apologies for going off on one, reading through my
initial reply I realise I got on a bit of a  high horse over something
I didn't fully understand, and took out some of my frustraion over
getting this on the mailing list on someone who was just trying to
help me. I understand what Tom was saying in his first message now and
feel more than a little foolish.

Just one more query though.

If the rpm when rebuilt asks for only the dependecies required by the
binary package, how comes I had to install any extra rpms in order to
rebuild it in the first place? As I understand Derek's message, the
list of dependant rpms refer only to the binaries, there can be no
alternative list for the src.rpm. How comes my installed version of
kdelibs has not got these dependencies allready installed? Is this
because it was part of my original install of Mandrake? That
would imply that the dependencies are not actually dependencies....

Or am I making another basic grass roots error?

I got round the SPEC file compiling for i586 by adding a file called
.rprmc in my user home folder /hwb/home. read

http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/mandrake_a_la_gentoo.pdf

For more info, if your interested.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.

Huw