On Friday 04 July 2003 08:58 am, Huw Blackwell wrote:
> I stand corrected. Apologies for going off on one, reading through my
> initial reply I realise I got on a bit of a  high horse over something
> I didn't fully understand, and took out some of my frustraion over
> getting this on the mailing list on someone who was just trying to
> help me. I understand what Tom was saying in his first message now and
> feel more than a little foolish.
>
> Just one more query though.
>
> If the rpm when rebuilt asks for only the dependecies required by the
> binary package, how comes I had to install any extra rpms in order to
> rebuild it in the first place? As I understand Derek's message, the
> list of dependant rpms refer only to the binaries, there can be no
> alternative list for the src.rpm. How comes my installed version of
> kdelibs has not got these dependencies allready installed? Is this
> because it was part of my original install of Mandrake? That
> would imply that the dependencies are not actually dependencies....
>
> Or am I making another basic grass roots error?
>
> I got round the SPEC file compiling for i586 by adding a file called
> .rprmc in my user home folder /hwb/home. read
>
> http://cybercfo.gkmweb.com/mandrake_a_la_gentoo.pdf
>
> For more info, if your interested.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to explain this to me.
>
> Huw
Jumping in here; there are some .rpms that are required to be able to build a
.rpm from .src.rpm.  These files are not necessary for the rpms to function
after build but you can't build without them. They are sometimes devel rpms
and are always the rebuild rpms. Hope this explains those odd dependencies a
bit better.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842