On Friday 04 Jul 2003 2:58 pm, Huw Blackwell wrote:
> If the rpm when rebuilt asks for only the dependecies required by the
> binary package, how comes I had to install any extra rpms in order to
> rebuild it in the first place? As I understand Derek's message, the
> list of dependant rpms refer only to the binaries, there can be no
> alternative list for the src.rpm. How comes my installed version of
> kdelibs has not got these dependencies allready installed? Is this
> because it was part of my original install of Mandrake? That
> would imply that the dependencies are not actually dependencies....

They are not dependencies for the binaries. Some examples might be:
  the compiler
  various compiler-like tools (lex, yacc,etc.)
  the development rpms for the libraries used
  tools to build the documentation.
The binaries do not use them. For example, the documentation in the
binary rpm might be in HTML format, but in the src distribution it
might require several tools to create those HTML files. Once the files
are created then you don't need the tools. As a further example one of
these tools might be "doxygen" which pulls comments out of source files
and creates pdf and html manuals from them.

--
Richard Urwin