On Friday 04 Jul 2003 2:58 pm, Huw Blackwell wrote:
> I stand corrected. Apologies for going off on one, reading through my
> initial reply I realise I got on a bit of a  high horse over something
> I didn't fully understand, and took out some of my frustraion over
> getting this on the mailing list on someone who was just trying to
> help me. I understand what Tom was saying in his first message now and
> feel more than a little foolish.

No problemo. You thought you had found an error and wanted to help fix it.
Thats good :-)

> Just one more query though.
>
> If the rpm when rebuilt asks for only the dependecies required by the
> binary package, how comes I had to install any extra rpms in order to
> rebuild it in the first place? As I understand Derek's message, the
> list of dependant rpms refer only to the binaries, there can be no
> alternative list for the src.rpm. How comes my installed version of
> kdelibs has not got these dependencies allready installed? Is this
> because it was part of my original install of Mandrake? That
> would imply that the dependencies are not actually dependencies....

Take for example kdelibs-devel. It contains nothing but C header files. They
are not needed to run the binary RPM, but of course they are needed to
compile kdelibs with.
On the other hand kdelibs makes extensive use of QT.  So the binary package
libqt3 is a dependency, but  the header files needed to compile libqt3,
libqt3-devel is not a dependency.

I hope thats clear.

derek

--