On Sunday 20 July 2003 01:26 am, Erylon Hines wrote:
> Interestingly, this case is the one always brought up when the subject of
> lawsuits (in the U.S.) raises its head, and the facts of this case are more
> interesting than just the anecdotal mention would suggest.
>
> Why the corporation was found to be culpable was because their coffee was
> served too hot.  Why it was served so hot is the interesting part.  More
> cups of coffee can be brewed from a pound of ground when the water is set
> to 180 degrees (F) than when set to 140 deg (F).  Managers of the
> restaurant franchises actually complained that the coffee was being brewed
> too hot, because the cups would soften when the coffee was poured, and they
> were worried that their employees were being exposed to an unsafe
> condition. Documents showed that letters had been exchanged between local
> managers and upper management, and essentially, the upper managers had
> vetoed lowering the brew temps of the coffeee because it would effect the
> "bottom line" -- profits on the sale of coffee would be lower.  When the
> customer was severely burned (badly enough to require skin grafts) and
> subsequently sued, the documents were "discovered", and the jury found the
> upper management was at fault because they knew, and in fact had been
> warned on numerous occasions, that the restaurant's policy of brewing
> coffee at 180 degrees (F) was creating an unsafe condition.

but this is why you don't put a cup of hot coffee between your legs in a car
unless you want to risk getting burnt there.  common sense there.  i think
it's pretty idiotic that people can sue others for their own stupidity.

the problem with america is stupidity, stupid people keep breeding and doing
stupid things.  i'm not saying we should kill them all off, but let's remove
all the warning labels from everything and let this problem take care of
itself.

but that's just my $0.02.  but i can gaurentee if chainsaws didn't have a
warning sticker on them telling the user not to touch the chain while the
chainsaw is ON, i bet someone would sue when they lopped their fingers or
hand off for touching it.  if you don't have the common sense to say "gee,
this is a dumb/dangerous/stupid thing for me to do and could/would/will get
me hurt/disfigured/killed," then you just deserve what you get.

Mike