Hello JoeHill,

Tuesday, July 22, 2003, 9:06:26 AM, you wrote:

J> This is what frightens the RIAA so very much, their whole business
J> is based on promotion and distribution.

Yep. This is how I am doing my protesting. I do NOT buy any music from
the 'biggies' any more. It has turned out quite well, and I don't feel
like I am missing anything. For me, it has turned out to be a better
solution. In snooping around the net, I have found several groups that
I like MUCH better than anything I hear on radio, TV, etc. Much of
this is just the boy-band-of-the-week anyway. Yech.

J> Chuck D. from Public Enemy is a real pioneer in this area, but there are
J> many others:

J> http://www.boycott-riaa.com/artists/

I check his list of labels before I buy anything. It is helpful in
avoiding those who try to hide their affiliation.

I've become a great fan of open source for more than just linux.
http://www.archive.org/ has some interesting links for music, among
other things. Search on 'open source music' for more info.

Even the esoteric, expensive world of medical information has dipped a
toe into open info via the Public Library of Science. We're slowly
going in the right direction, I guess.

Even so, the teenies will still be brainwashed by the media to pump $$
into whatever the biggies are pushing. I doubt many will do what I am
doing - it doesn't conform to their peer pressure. :-) It might be a
very interesting nightmare for RIAA if indies DID get popular with
this group, though.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]