On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:36:11 -0700, Nick Andriash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote about Re: [newbie] Installation aborted - by me:

>> Choose the one you want for install, and make a partition for /home
>> (so that if you get any data on it you will be able to re-install or
>> upgrade without losing your data). I assume that since it is a whole
>> disk you probably have plenty of room? Allocate 512MB to swap and
>> create one bit ext3 partition for the rest. Mandrake will take care of
>> everything else.
>
>I am soon going to try what Melissa is trying, so please bear with me
>for a moment. Are you saying simply to create a 512 MB partition named
>/home to store data in, as the 1st step during the installation? The
>"one bit ext3 partition for the rest" is a little confusing for me, so
>would you mind just going over that for a moment?

Howdi Nick (And Melissa willkayakforfood), both from famous encryption
lists ;-)

I beat you to it by an 8 or 9 months: Linux is fun.

What Anne said, was to create a 512 Mb swap partition (I chose 1024 Mb,
`cause I have 458 Mb RAM with an aging Pentium II, it doesn`t matter
immensely because I doubt I ever use all the swap), create one partition for
your personal data: /home and put the rest of Melissa`s old 20 Gb drive in
one partition of type ext3.

Basically that`s not bad advice at all; for beginners excellent, in fact.
But if you look through any Linux archives you`ll get umpteen variations of
what is practical in sub-partitioning your various directories below `/`.

If you haven`t already read it, you`ll find that all your Linux partitions
get mount points below one `root`, no matter if there are virtual drives or
hard drives. In fact your old windows partitions will hang on the same
`inverted tree`, all in the branch called /mnt.

IIRC Melissa uses WINXP, so if you don`t have any FAT or VFAT drives, you
may wish to note that from within Linux you can`t write (or at your own
risk; don`t!) to NTFS partitions. For that reason you may want to consider
creating a smallish VFAT partitions on your system to interchange anything
you`d like to take with you from a Linux session to a Windows session.

Personally I have a derelict mini-windows `95 partition that I boot from
and a couple of gigs in W2K space that I have to go to once a month to do
some business with my bank via their win-type software.

I have a few times used `explore2fs`, apparently without causing damage to
my Linux system, which is a tool with which one can explore a Linux system
and copy from it, but a friend of mine had lots of damage on his Mandrake
Linux, so best be careful there. YMMV.

Oh, and one more thing: if you happen to use Partition Magic to create a
Linux drive (not that it`ll do you much good, but a nice way to start, have
MD format it properly during install), please be forewarned that some
versions of PM note partition table errors after installing a Linux system
and PM will offer to correct the errors. Please do **not** take that offer.
Let it be an error according to PM. Probably the warning will go away 1 or
2 PM sessions later.

You`ll be glad you took the plunge.

Ciao,
=Dick Gevers=