On Tuesday 23 December 2003 01:13, Tom Brinkman wrote:

<snip>
>     So do I. I welcome it for security idiots like me.
>
> > Now, if only I could find out how to "stealth" my ports  :-(
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
>     Now I know ya know how. We've talked for too long.  I use
> guarddog to set iptables rules. Locked up jelly tight.
> http://scan.sygate.com/  any scan shows  'blocked, stealthed, we
> reckon you don't even exist.'
>
>    Not you Kaj, me ;)   Merry Christmas
</snip>

Tom, I followed your advice and installed guarddog. Fired it up, and
it almost scared the s*** out of me, Insisted on removing my
firewall (shorewall, I suppose) first. Then, I stared at this GUI,
and - once again - reckoned that I'm a complete idiot. I don't have
the faintest idea of what to do in this GUI in order to block or
stealth my ports (especially port 135 and 139 who seems to have
something to do with SMB and NetBIOS. I don't use those M$ things,
so what the heck are they sitting on my system for ?).

Well, I clicked "cancel" and immediately the CLI showed up, telling
me something about "mutex destroy failure", and locked up.

So for now, I think I'll stick with shorewall and hope the best.

Especially, I hope for a Merry Christmas to you and everyone else on
this fine list, Tom.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
** Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer **