J,

You will need to install Win95/98 first, since it will overwright the MBR
(Master Boot Record) of your hard disk.

Run fdisk from the Win95/98 floppy, and create one primary partition, and one
extended partition. These must occupy the entire Hard Disk. Then in the extended
partition, create one or more logical partitions as desired for Win95/98. Do
not create any partitions for Linux at this point. Leave the amount of space
you want for Linux unpartitioned in the extended partition.

Next, restart and format the DOS partittions for Win95/98 with the DOS format
command, then install the Win9x operating system.

Once you have Win9x installed and operational, restart the computer and run the
Linux installation program (I used the Linux boot disk in my floppy drive).
Follow the on screen prompts, and I suggest you use disk druid to set up the
Linux partitions, as it is easier, and will not destroy your Win9x instalation.
This should result in a machine which will do a good dual-boot between Win9x
and Linux. It worked for me.

Note, I installed LILO in the MBR so I could boot from the HD, and LILO did
not mess up my Win9x.

Ernie