On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> ... what?  This should definitely not happen!  Windows ignores partition
> ttypes that aren't FAT or FAT32.  Windows can indeed see the partitions,
> but fdisk for DOS is so limited that it doesn't display them correctly.
> If Windows does not recognize the partition type, it ignores the
> partition. I've never seen Windows try to "fix" a Linux filesystem.  When
> did this happen to you?

Never happened to me....just read some horror stories of
some people on this or one of the other lists who said it
happened to them.

> You should not create partitions for Linux
> under Windows.  Well, you can, > but you'll have to edit
> them later.  Windows will automatically set the >
> partition type to FAT.  In order to create an ext2
> filesystem on the > partition, you first must change the
> partition type to Linux.  It's better > to simply not
> create partitions from Windows' fdisk unless they are >
> partitions to be used by Windows.
AMEN! :-)
> You sure are going about this the long way.
> Why create partitions when > you're going to delete right
> away?  It's not like you have to fill up > the whole disk
> for DOS or anything.  Just create the partitions you
> need > for DOS in DOS, then format them and install your
> OS, then install Linux. > Disk druid or fdisk will let you
> create the Linux partitions during the > installation.
> DOS/Windows should not try to touch your partitions at
> all. The only problem might be if they have a FAT label
> in the partition table, > but a non-FAT filesystem on
> them.  That may cause Windows to "fix" the > partitions.
> But it shouldn't happen, as long as you stick to creating
> an > OS's partitions with the right tool- DOS fdisk for
> DOS partitions, Linux > fdisk (or disk druid) for Linux
> partitions.

I figure that's probably what happens...people create a
Linux partition with DOS/Windows FDISK and then just create
a FAT32 file system in there.... so it confuses Windows. :-)
        John