On Friday 23 January 2004 06:41 am, Merlin Zener wrote:

> But I'm having another go at it: for those machine names above, what
> names do I use? The names they use under windoze? Or just make up two
> new names?

Either one, it really doesn't matter.  They just need to be the names that you
want to use to address the machines.  For instance, ping machinename rather
than ping 10.0.0.20.

> The situation atm is:
> If I use autodetect in DrakConnect it stumbles at bootup, at the
> "bringing up ETH0" line [as above] but the internet works. If I give it
> a static address - either the 192.168.0.20 one or the 10.0.0.20 one,
> then the two machines will ping ok but the internet doesn't work.

Again, these are separate issues.  Your internet connectivity is occurring
through the use of a modem, correct?  So, once you get the modem connected,
it establishes a gateway using your ISP's IP address and all external
connection requests are sent through the gateway.  Internal traffic, such as
traffic that is directed at 10.* and 192.* addresses can not be routed on the
Internet, so those should travel locally on your ethernet connection.

Once you get the local net connections up and running, you should be able to
activate the modem connection by loading the drivers.  Suggest you check out
/etc/modules.conf for entries that might indicate what modem drivers you are
using and how to rig those to load on boot rather than relying on the connect
wizard to do it for you.  You can also check the hardware list to get the
modem type and then try to find someone that can tell you which lines to add
to load the modem drivers automatically.

If you really want to simplify matters, I would suggest buying an inexpensive
router device.  Then, you can let the router serve as DHCP and assign IP
addresses to the machine that you hook up.  If you don't have such a device,
you are going to have to put some work into configuring the network such that
LAN traffic and Internet traffic coexist peacefully.

> Here is what's in /etc/hosts atm:
> 127.0.0.1             localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.0.20          localhost.localdomain localhost

I would change this to something different.  localhost is always 127.0.0.1 but
you need to differentiate the traffic that will be sent over the local lan
from machine to machine from localhost traffic that stays confined to a
single machine.  The 192 line should have something different from localhost,
call linux machine steinway and the windows machine baldwin for example.

> I'm trying to make headway on the documentation you suggested; I
> installed the HOWTO rpm but it didn't install the exact docs you
> specified. There are some others that seem related, but so far I haven't
> come across something that deals with my problem - aside from "ask your
> system administrator" :) I get the feeling it would take years to wade
> through all these docs, and the answer is possibly in there - somewhere!
> But I don't have years to spend on it - I need to know how to maybe
> search for the elusive bit of info I need...

Merlin, you should try to keep in mind that every single computer situation is
somewhat unique.  Short of being there and looking at it, it can be very
difficult to troubleshoot someone's problems.  Given that we don't use the
exact same ISP as you do, probably not the exact same modem type, certainly
not the exact same network cards, connections and computer OS that you do,
finding someone who can give you the exact settings that you need is
problematic.

If you don't have the time to research, I would again suggest that you get a
router device. It is much easier to setup a plug and play type situation with
one of those.  Even if all you use the router for is connections between your
two computers and you still hook the modem up directly to the Linux machine,
it will still simplify the process of getting simultaneous connections
between the local LAN and internet.  You can buy a cheap one for perhaps
$40-60 US, and I am fairly certain they would have something comparable where
you are.  It is also much easier to setup Internet connection sharing when
you have a router device to manage intranet connectivity.

>From my perspective, either you spend money, or time and effort, there is no
such thing as a free lunch.
--
Bryan Phinney