On Friday 23 January 2004 08:36 am, Merlin Zener wrote:

> How, then, am I connecting to the net now, without any need to load
> drivers? All I do is click on the link I put on my desktop which starts
> KPPP.

Because you are using an external modem which I either didn't spot before or
that you didn't specify.  External modems don't usually require drivers.
Just underscores the difficulty in remote configuration, right?

However, once you get the local LAN going, you should be able to click on the
KPPP icon, connect and then use the net while the local LAN connection is
still active and working.  By default, local packets should not be sent
through the Internet gateway because local IP addresses are not routeable on
the Internet.  KPPP should be overwriting the gateway address once you make
your connection and then it should be restored when you disconnect.

> > Suggest you check out
> > /etc/modules.conf for entries that might indicate what modem drivers you
> > are using and how to rig those to load on boot rather than relying on the
> > connect wizard to do it for you.
>
> here is that file:
> probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
> alias eth0 8139too
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-via8233
> probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
> alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
> above snd-via8233 snd-pcm-oss
>
> I don't see anything to do with the modem in there; the modem is an
> Aztech 56K external modem. I don't see any model numbers on it...

External modems use a tty device file for the serial port, they don't require
specific drivers, usually.

> > I would change this to something different.  localhost is always
> > 127.0.0.1 but you need to differentiate the traffic that will be sent
> > over the local lan from machine to machine from localhost traffic that
> > stays confined to a single machine.  The 192 line should have something
> > different from localhost, call linux machine steinway and the windows
> > machine baldwin for example.
>
> I just tried to change it - I right-clicked and opened it with Kedit,
> made the change, but then I couldn't save it. It says "unable to write
> to file". Do I have to use some special program to edit this file?

No, but you do have to be logged in as root, a user does not have access to
edit that file.  Su to root and then type kedit /etc/hosts and you should be
able to change and then save the changes.

> And:
> should I have separate entries for both machines? For example:
> 127.0.0.1             localhost.localdomain localhost
> 192.168.0.20            desktop
> 192.168.0.10            laptop
> Would that work?

Yes.  That should work.

> Unfortunately as I said buying a router is not an option, that would
> require a trip to Bangkok [which takes pretty much all day] because
> there's not much in the way of computer shops around here, and
> especially not any that would be Linux aware. And knowing my luck I'd
> spend all day and the equivalent of a month's rent here on a router and
> for some reason it wouldn't work... Can you imagine trying to explain a
> problem that I don't really understand in broken Thai to some local kid
> who's never heard of Linux? It would be easier to buy a plane ticket to
> Singapore and then pay the duty on the router on the way back...

Here I am, stuck in a dreary U.S. urban city and you are in exotic Thailand
having a few minor computer configuration problems.  Anytime that you want to
trade places, mate, let me know.  ;-}
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer