On Monday 05 January 2004 08:17 am, Merlin Zener wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 19:57, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > [...snip]
> > 8139 suggests a Realtek, which are usually OK.  Do you use dhcp or
> > static IP?
>
> I've got no idea.
> When both machines are running windoze it *just works*. I've never
> entered a specific IP address to connect to the net [via modem] so I'm
> assuming the ISP assigns one to me. I didn't think I needed an IP
> address to get my local network running - I thought that was only to
> connect to outside web pages etc?

Via modem, you are right.  However, you are not trying to hit the Window
machine via modem, you are trying to go direct Lan to it.  Newer Windows has
something akin to zeroconf that tries to autoassign IP addresses to network
interfaces.  This simulates DHCP in that your ethernet card will get an IP
address, although it is not really valid for routing since there is no DNS
setup that knows that address is active.  Mandrake should be trying to do the
same thing with zeroconf, but it is not assigning an IP (based on what you
posted) so either it is failing, not installed, or not configured correctly.

Your internet stuff is going through dial-up, so it is completely separate
from your ethernet.

You should run the wizard DrakConnect again and make sure that you choose
static IP address and give your ethernet card an IP address yourself.  You
can try to let the zeroconf stuff do it, but a static IP is a better idea
since you will at least always know what IP you should be using and can add
it to the host file of both machines to make sure that they know what the
other machine is.  Actually, that is a good idea on Windows as well.

> How would I find out what Linux *thinks* it's using?

You already did.  Linux is using nothing currently, that is why you can't get
to the other machine.  When you try to ping the windows machine, Linux is
using your dial up connection and can't get to the machine because your ISP
does not have any DNS on that machine.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer