On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 19:26, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> [...snip]
> Once you get the local net connections up and running, you should be able to
> activate the modem connection by loading the drivers.

How, then, am I connecting to the net now, without any need to load
drivers? All I do is click on the link I put on my desktop which starts
KPPP.

> Suggest you check out
> /etc/modules.conf for entries that might indicate what modem drivers you are
> using and how to rig those to load on boot rather than relying on the connect
> wizard to do it for you.

here is that file:
probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
alias eth0 8139too
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via8233
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
above snd-via8233 snd-pcm-oss

I don't see anything to do with the modem in there; the modem is an
Aztech 56K external modem. I don't see any model numbers on it...

> You can also check the hardware list to get the
> modem type and then try to find someone that can tell you which lines to add
> to load the modem drivers automatically.

Where is that list?

> If you really want to simplify matters, I would suggest buying an inexpensive
> router device.

A nice idea, but unfortunately impossible atm.

 Then, you can let the router serve as DHCP and assign IP
> addresses to the machine that you hook up.  If you don't have such a device,
> you are going to have to put some work into configuring the network such that
> LAN traffic and Internet traffic coexist peacefully.
>
> > Here is what's in /etc/hosts atm:
> > 127.0.0.1           localhost.localdomain localhost
> > 192.168.0.20                localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> I would change this to something different.  localhost is always 127.0.0.1 but
> you need to differentiate the traffic that will be sent over the local lan
> from machine to machine from localhost traffic that stays confined to a
> single machine.  The 192 line should have something different from localhost,
> call linux machine steinway and the windows machine baldwin for example.

I just tried to change it - I right-clicked and opened it with Kedit,
made the change, but then I couldn't save it. It says "unable to write
to file". Do I have to use some special program to edit this file?
And:
should I have separate entries for both machines? For example:
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.20            desktop
192.168.0.10            laptop
Would that work?

> [...snip]
> >From my perspective, either you spend money, or time and effort, there is no
> such thing as a free lunch.

Point taken.
Unfortunately as I said buying a router is not an option, that would
require a trip to Bangkok [which takes pretty much all day] because
there's not much in the way of computer shops around here, and
especially not any that would be Linux aware. And knowing my luck I'd
spend all day and the equivalent of a month's rent here on a router and
for some reason it wouldn't work... Can you imagine trying to explain a
problem that I don't really understand in broken Thai to some local kid
who's never heard of Linux? It would be easier to buy a plane ticket to
Singapore and then pay the duty on the router on the way back...

--
Merlin Zener
Piano, Synthesizer

registered Linux user number 328618