John....if you put a boot floppy (linux or dos/win) into my ls-120 and
the system bios is set for it to be a boot device the floppy will boot
the computer.  If you install windows on a 120 meg ls-120 disk, windows
will boot and run properly (i/o is kinda slow).  As to your thought that
linux is for some reason trying to write to the default device after
I've specified the ls-120 device on the command line, no that is not
what happens.  It errors out saying it can't read the superblock, and is
accessing the specified drive, not the default.

Alan