On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> On that note, when updating the kernal and initscripts for instance, how do
> I get the package
> to install?  De-install the kernal and then reinstall the new one, then
> update lilo? or the other
> way around?  Secondly, how do you update lilo that is on a floppy?  I don't
> have lilo on the MBR.

just RPM a new kernel in and add it to your /etc/lilo.conf,
making it the default. Then re-run /sbin/lilo. Then rpm the
new initscripts and reboot. Once you've installed the new
initscripts, just reboot and all should be well with the
world. If you need  a new boot floppy as a backup, just run
"mkbootdisk <kernelversion>" and it'll default to /dev/fd0
as the target. For example, my system is on a 2.2.5-15
kernel here at work (RedHat...home system is Mandrake <G>)
so my command line would be "mkbootdisk 2.2.5-15 <enter>"
and have a writeable floppy handy.
        John