Axalon....I tried out your hdXY suggestion, using a 120 meg disc, in a
console window.  It accessed the disc for a long time and froze up the
system so tight that no keyboard input would do anything.  I had to
power down.  So I tried a 1.44 floppy, but in a real console, and it
spewed out a bunch of errors that started with the superblock one.
Anyway, no success.  Thanks though, for the suggestion.

Alan