Ray Hogaboom wrote:

Hi
KDE Control Module list these USB devices.

USB UHCI Root Hub (1)

Serial #: e000
Class 9 (Hub)
Subclass 0
Protocol 0
USB Version 1.0

Vendor ID 0x0
Product ID 0x0
Revision 0.0

Speed 12 Mbit/s
Channels 2
Max. Packet Size 0

Bandwidth 0 of 900 (0%)
Intr. requests 0
Isochr. requests 0

ImageMate CompactFlash USB

Manufacturer: SanDisk Corporation
Serial #: 000000000003
Class 0 (Interface)
Subclass 0
Protocol 0
USB Version 1.16

Vendor ID 0x781 (SanDisk Corp.)
Product ID 0x2 (SDDR-31 ImageMate II CompactFlash Reader)
Revision 0.9

Speed 12 Mbit/s
Channels 0
Max. Packet Size 0

USB2.0 Storage Device
Manufacturer: Cypress Semiconductor
Serial #: DEF1071CA0F9
Class 0 (Interface)
Subclass 0 Protocol 0
USB Version 2.0
Vendor ID 0x4b4 (Cypress Semiconductor)
Product ID 0x6830
Revision 0.1

Speed 12 Mbit/s
Channels 0
Max. Packet Size 0

So I have 3 USB devices they are USB Version 1.0, USB Version 1.16, and USB Version 2.0 compliant. The Cypress Semiconductor 120GB Hard Drive is USB Version 2.0 compliant, it is connected to USB Version 1.0 Hub. This limits the speed to 12 Mbit/s. If hub was USB Version 2.0 compliant the speed would be up to 480 Mbit/s.

They all work but HD is slow and
Device: sdb = 120 GB Cypress Semiconductor USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
Problems: Sometimes mounts to /mnt/removable sometimes to /mnt/memory_card one time to /mnt/removable2

Other Drives & Storage: ImageMate CompactFlash USB Problems: Sometimes mounts to /mnt/removable sometimes to /mnt/memory_card

It seams to work best if Ext. HD is off and memory_card is in reader, I boot then turn on HD. If HD is on and memory card is not in reader I boot, them HD mounts to /mnt/memory_card, Other combonations are unpredictable.

Question
can I install some software to make Hub USB Version 2.0 compliant? If not
Is there hardware to install?
How can I get these devices to mount in same place every time.

Leaving aside the issue of speed this matter of getting things to be assigned the same bus address
every time is a matter for the developers. I have the same problem over another set of equipement
and especially depending, whether, a smart card is inserted, a camera is, and 3 permanent
usb devices,are connected, as well as the scsi-emulation of the writer/dvd everything gets
rearranged and nothing is constantly assigned one place. So that for instance every time I boot
up and go to use the writer programmes I have to reset the devices in the backend of x-cd-roast
and the like. The usb setup is in evolution. I don't think there is anything we can do to control
the matter ourselves.But for the most part the usb hub ought, at least it is on mine,
be static provided you don't replug any usb device. But what actually controls whether
they are connected to USB1/USB2 in the hub is still not clear to me. All right we have
both USB1/USB2 capability but how the system decides what is which isn't clear to me.
Is it the USB slots or is it the equipement or what ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]