On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:06:24 +0000, John Richard Smith wrote
> Leaving aside the issue of speed this matter of getting things to be
> assigned the same bus address
> every time is a matter for the developers. I have the same problem
> over another set of equipement and especially depending, whether, a
> smart card is inserted, a camera is, and 3 permanent usb devices,are
> connected,  as well as the scsi-emulation of the writer/dvd
> everything gets rearranged and nothing is constantly assigned one
> place. So that for instance every time I boot up and go to use the
> writer programmes I have to reset the devices in the backend of x-cd-
> roast and the like. The usb setup is in evolution. I don't think
> there is anything we can do to control the matter ourselves.But for
> the  most part the usb hub ought, at least it is on mine, be static
> provided you don't replug any usb device. But what actually
> controls whether they are connected to USB1/USB2 in the hub is still
> not clear to me. All right we have both USB1/USB2 capability but how
> the system decides what is which isn't clear to me. Is it the USB
> slots or is it the equipement or what ?

I think this USB configuration stuff is just plain sillyness.  For instance
I have an Imagemate multi-card reader.  If I don't stuff it with a card, my
logs regularily check it with the same results:

Found card reader
Checking format
No media found
Using some bizarre disk layout
Error! Error! Error!

Come on, what's up with that?  The code already recognizes there's no media
present yet blissfully continues to try to set up a valid scsi device for
it.  The only solution is to keep the spare flash card in one of the slots
which is totally not the right answer to this problem.

USB devices are recognized by the internal device ID.  It shouldn't matter
what port it's plugged into, or whether it's connected on the end of 7 daisy
chained hubs.  Linux should mount it at the exact same place each and every
time.  I mean, I can understand /mnt/removable2 if you've already got a
device plugged in using /mnt/removeable, but that should be the extent of
relocation.  In fact maybe mnt/removable is too vague to begin with.  Maybe
it should be mounted as /mnt/removable/sandisk_slot1
or /mnt/removable/jetdrive or something.

I don't know if I should blame Mandrake's USB code, or Linux USB code, but
USB setup really needs to be cleaned up and simplified.  Alot of newbies are
going to get burned on what should be a no-brainer device system.

Ok, I think I'm done venting now....

By the way the multi-card reader works great!

Scott

--
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!
(http://www.littlefish.ca)