On Wednesday 03 March 2004 06:43 am, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 March 2004 04:37 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > Section "Device"
> >     Identifier "device1"
> >     VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
> >     BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce3 (generic)"
> >     Driver "nv"
> >     Option "DPMS"
> >
> > That's to handle the nvidia driver modules
> > which includes something called glx I think ?
>
> That answers it.  the nv driver does not support 3d, so the lib
> cannot load. If you want 3d, use the nvidia driver.

     This is somewhat misleading, and defintely incorrect. The
'nv' driver does indeed support GLX and has for quite a while
(over a year). Run 'xdpyinfo' and two of the supported extensions
are GLX and SGI-GLX.  SGI contributed increased GLX support to
XFree86 when they broke away from nVidia and became open source
supporters and advocates. XFree config usin the 'nv' driver
should look something like this:

     Driver "nv"

Section "Module"
    Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
    Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
    Load "extmod"
    Load "type1"
    Load "freetype"
    Load "glx" # 3D layer
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     3D apps will run with the 'nv' driver, albeit some are very
slow (eg, Tuxracer) as the XFree driver does _not_ support direct
rendering, DRI. nVidia refuses to release the hardware specs for
this to XFree86 due to licensing agreements, mainly with M$, that
forbid doin so.  The only hope left is that when Mac's OS X
(really just mostly freeBSD) is ported to x86, freeBSD might get
nVidia's drivers ..... and the chance Linux/XFree86 will get them
goes way up ;)

   My GeF4 usin 'nv' gets about 30% of the 3d/acel 'glxgears'
performance it gets when I boot the PCLOS Live CD which uses the
'nvidia' driver. IMO, anyone is much better off not tainting
their kernel and system with nVidia's crap unless they absolutely
can't do without 3d games that need DRI. If the 'nvidia' driver
is used, that should be admitted anytime bug reports or problems
are filed, as with any proprietary binary only drivers or apps.
lkml won't even accept such reports, and IMO, Mandrake shouldn't
either.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American