Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 06:43 am, Greg Meyer wrote:

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 04:37 am, John Richard Smith wrote:

Section "Device"
   Identifier "device1"
   VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
   BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce3 (generic)"
   Driver "nv"
   Option "DPMS"

That's to handle the nvidia driver modules
which includes something called glx I think ?

That answers it. the nv driver does not support 3d, so the lib
cannot load. If you want 3d, use the nvidia driver.

This is somewhat misleading, and defintely incorrect. The 'nv' driver does indeed support GLX and has for quite a while (over a year). Run 'xdpyinfo' and two of the supported extensions are GLX and SGI-GLX. SGI contributed increased GLX support to XFree86 when they broke away from nVidia and became open source supporters and advocates. XFree config usin the 'nv' driver should look something like this:

    Driver "nv"

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx" # 3D layer
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3D apps will run with the 'nv' driver, albeit some are very slow (eg, Tuxracer) as the XFree driver does _not_ support direct rendering, DRI. nVidia refuses to release the hardware specs for this to XFree86 due to licensing agreements, mainly with M$, that forbid doin so. The only hope left is that when Mac's OS X (really just mostly freeBSD) is ported to x86, freeBSD might get nVidia's drivers ..... and the chance Linux/XFree86 will get them goes way up ;)

My GeF4 usin 'nv' gets about 30% of the 3d/acel 'glxgears' performance it gets when I boot the PCLOS Live CD which uses the 'nvidia' driver. IMO, anyone is much better off not tainting their kernel and system with nVidia's crap unless they absolutely can't do without 3d games that need DRI. If the 'nvidia' driver is used, that should be admitted anytime bug reports or problems are filed, as with any proprietary binary only drivers or apps. lkml won't even accept such reports, and IMO, Mandrake shouldn't either.

I have this which is the same,

Section "Module"
   Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
   Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
   Load "extmod"
   Load "type1"
   Load "freetype"
   Load "glx" # 3D layer
EndSection

but without the

Driver "nv"

I take it this is Tom's inclusion,
Or should I have it also ?

Oh, and if I could do without the nvidia driver I certainly would, but how else can I get tvout ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]