On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 04:21, Lanman wrote:
>  > Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> >
> > I'm looking forward to having an updated automake - I get the sh_ts with
> > trying to compile programs every now and again. Eye candy is nice,
> > having a 2.6 kernel is nicer...besides, eye candy makes for resource
> > hungry.
> >
> > Is Enlightenment still included?
> >
> > stephen kuhn - owner
>
> Yup. Still there mate.
>
> I'm seeing something here that probably merits mentioning though.
>
> Stephen, you keep using the word "upgrade".  Just curious, but are you
> planning to select the upgrade option during the installation, or do you
> plan on a fresh install? I've seen several people talking about
> upgrades, and how their systems were screwed up afterwards.

Joy. I can't afford to have a "screwed up system" - can't really afford
to have it down for more than a few hours. Gads...going to have to think
of a backout/recovery plan...*UNLESS* I can talk the girlfriend into
installing it fresh on her machine - she just redid 9.2 so I don't think
I'll have to twist her arm muchly...

> Personally, I use a package list on a floppy, and re-install the list,
> then I look through the packages listed in the Software Management
> Section of Mandrake Control Center to add anything the install missed.
> It saves me about 40 minutes of going through the flat install list, and
> I know which apps and packages will be waiting for me once I boot into
> it again.
>
> The key to this is to leave your home folder untouched ( ie; DO NOT
> FORMAT) during the install. Just give it the same partition name/mount
> point it had before, and continue with the install.

I've got some really strange mount points - and / and /home are on one -
don't ask why. But hey, I reckon now I can stick in that extra forty
gigger for giggles and grins...

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
She has an alarm clock and a phone that don't ring -- they applaud.