On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:56:30 +1000
Stephen Kuhn disseminated the following:

> > I installed Mandrake 10 onto spare space on my main hard drive, which
> > has XP in the first partition.  Everything went fine on the Linux side -
> > but choosing Windows from the boot options caused a freeze, with a
> > flashing cursor on black screen.  The XP recovery console couldn't cope
> > with the Linux partitions being in the FAT, so I ended up with a
> > complete repartition, reformat and reinstall of XP.  Not wanting to go
> > through that twice, is there anything I should be doing with Mandrake
> > other than following the default setup?
>
> EZiest way - DELETE XP.

Can't argue with that.

However, if you really must keep XP around, do the install by booting from the
Mandrake CD *after* you have XP installed (leave some unpartitioned space, at
least 5 or 6 GB). Sounds from what you said you installed Mandrake from within
Windoze, not the way to go, AFAIK. If you install Mandrake by booting from the
CD, it will use the unpartitioned space, and install LILO with a Win option, and
play nicer.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046