Charlie Mahan wrote:
I don't think I'll be much help with Firestarter Paul. I only tried it once and I believe that was 2 or more years ago. I just add the rules I want to /etc/shorewall/Rules and modify whatever else needs to be done in zones and so on then as super user; shorewall restart && service network start and I'm away.

The difference between "Stealthed" and closed is almost as much semantics as real. Closed is Blocked is "Go Away!" Interactive to the point of mildly rude. Stealth is No Such Address, No Such Zone, "Are you in the right city or on the right planet?" as in rude to the point of the passing port scanner being logged on the inside but totally ignored from outward appearance. Does that make things a little more clear? You are secure, you just want to be more-so and I understand that.

Thanks, Charlie. I have meanwhile uninstalled Fierestarter and I have activated the firewall embodied in Mandrake (Shorewall). The results of the GRC test are equivalent to the ones produced when Firestarter was active. I am much more relieved with the fact that my ports being closed is already a good protection. I have to learn a bit more regarding setting up rules with Shorewall.

Paul