On Tuesday 08 March 2005 12:02, SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Well the positive news is that I am able to connect the two computers and
> transfer files by fish even though I am unable to log off the computer I am
> SSH into without rebooting that computer so I have fish working with a
> slight issues.
>
> Next item on the Network agenda is to access the "Test Data Base" that I
> have on one box using OpenOffice 1.9 database management program in the
> other box.
>
> You may recall that I have two Mandrake 10.1 boxes connected with a router
> [Fire wall currently turned off. Fire will to be activated after I figure
> out DB connection procedure.]
>
> Anyway I did the following in this attempt to connect:
>
> Opened OpenOffice 1.9 selected new DB and then connect to an existing DB.
> [Why connect to an existing DB is under "Create New DB" instead of being
> under "Open" is beyond my grasp but that is where it is located.]
>
> Anyway a dialog box opens where you can either directly enter the file name
> or select by browse for the directory where the DB is located you want to
> connect to.
>
> I tried entering:
> http://branch @192.168.1.3/home/Test-DB
>
> I received the folowing notice:
> The file does not exist. Would you like to create it?
>
> I tried entering:
> fish://branch @192.168.1.3/home/Test-DB
>
> And I again received the folowing notice:
> The file does not exist. Would you like to create it?
>
> If anyone knows how to use OpenOffice DB manager to connect to a DB in
> another computer I would appreciate a little guidance in doing such.
>
> Thanks
> Frank

I have no experience with OpenOffice 1.9 or using it with databases, but I
know for sure that "http://"; and "fish://" are not the file types you should
be using. If it is a local file the file type will be "file://"

As I pointed out when you first contacted the list, fish:// is only understood
by KDE applications. Open Office does not use it.

One method you *can* use with OpenOffice is NFS (Network File System)
NFS allows you to mount remote folders as if they were local folders. Open
Office would not even be aware the database was remote.
(If the remote database was MySQL then it would not need to be mounted at all.
Open Office could connect to it directly)

To set up NFS in Mandrake install portmapper, nfs-utils and nfs-utils-clients.
On the server edit the file /etc/exports and add lines in the format
/home   192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,root_squash)

This line will advertise that the folder /home may be accessed by computers on
the 192.168.1 subnetwork for read and write.
Note : There MUST be a TAB character after the directory name NOT SPACES
The last line must end in new line

Then in a root console enter
exportfs -ra
This will make the share available to other computers.

Now in the client open MandrakeControlCentre>Mount Points>NFS
Click the button to search the network. It should find the directories you
just shared on the server.
Pick a mount point for the folder  (normally somewhere under /mnt )

When you boot the client it will by default automatically connect to the
server. If the server is down at boot time you will have to mount it
manually. There is a tool in KDE to do this
Menu>System>Monitoring>KwikDisk an applet will appear in the Quickstart menu.

NFS is notoriously insecure and should not be used on a non trusted network.
NFS is also VERY particular about file attributes. If a file does not have
public permission (777) then the UID (User) and GID (Group) numbers of users
on the two computers must match or else you will not be able to read the
file.

For example on this computer my username is derek and my UID:GID numbers are
501:501  If the remote computer has files owned by user derek with UID:GID of
502:502  I would not be able to read those files over NFS.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net
http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org