SOTL wrote:
Hi All

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for screaming but I do feel a bit better now.

I added 1 computer to the network so now there are a total of 3 as follows:

MSI with name of Reality_Check @ 192.168.2.7 with Mandrake 10.1
HP with name Meatloaf_Night @ 192.168.2.9 with Mandrake 9.2
IBM with name Big_Nate @ 192.168.2.2 with Mandrake 10.1

I do not have the ability to install 10.1 on the HP with out replacing the CD reader with a DVD reader.

From any one box I can ping either [or both at the same time] of the other two
boxes. For example from the IBM box I can ping MSI by using 192.168.2.7 and/or HP by using 192.168.2.9.

I can not ping either of the other boxes by using names. For example I can not ping MSI or HP by using the names Reality_Check or Meatloaf_Night nor can I ping the IBM box from either MSI or HP using Big_Nate.

So, numbers work; names do not work.

You need to put the names in /etc/hosts is each box, or run a name server on the lan. YOu may want to look at the tmdns package - I have not used it, or even done more then look at the description of the package, but it looks like it may be fore networks like yours.

I was able to access the MSI box from both the HP box and the IBM box by using the following: fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory
or fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I was not able to access any box by fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory

I was not able to access the IBM box from either the HP box or the MSI box using
fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory
or
fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory

I was not able to access the HP box from either the IBM box or the MSI box using
fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory
or
fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory

So, one function apparently correctly two did not function as expected.

I checked packages for the IBM and HP against   the MSI.

The MSI and IBM have the following packages installed:
kdeutils-kdessh
openssh
openssh-askpass
openssh-askpass-gnome
openssh-client
openssh-server
scanssh
sshd-monitor

The HP package are somewhat different and due to inadequate notes I may not have the content exactly correct so we will skip that at this time.

First Question:

Are there other packages that are required to ssh into a box that I do not have listed above?

On the box you want to ssh into, you need the openssh-server and openssh packages, and the libs they are dependant on. You also need to start the sshd daemon running. It is not started by default.

chkconfig sshd on
service sshd start

Second Question:

If there are no additional packages required why does one work [of sorts] and one not?

That above [of sorts] is important as after completing I left work went home did laundry and returned to work to attempt to make the other two boxes work.

Firing up all 3 computers the 2 which I was not able to access by fish came up normal and functioned normal.

The MSi box which I was able to access by fish came up with video up to 3/4 way through KDE boot at which time it lost video and maybe key and mouse too as they did not appear to be functioning either.

If the screen just went black, then you may have to tweek the monitor settings. Maybe decrease the number of colors, or resulation. This is usualy caused by trying to use higher settings then the monitor supports. (This is a big improvment from the older monitors - they would let out all the magc smoke if you did that!)

I shut the box down by turning power off [bad practice] since I appear to have no control of box.

You may be able to get the box to reboot using Ctrl-Alt-DEL - it takes a bit, because it does a controlled shutdown/reboot. You may also be able to get a CLI login prompt by hitting Ctrl-Alt-F1.

I repeated the above several times with identical results.

I attempted to access box by fish and was able to do so.

I placed Mandrake 10.1 disk in DVD drive and did an upgrade.

Booting box after upgrade I still got blank screen and most possible no mouse and no keyboard.

Third Question:

How does one go about establishing why, how issue develops and how does one repair?

Thanks
Frank

For networking problems, looking in the logs in /var/log is a good lace to start. Especialy on the machine you are trying to connect to. A lot of the time, you will see a message telling you why the connection was not allowed. Firewalls can make things especialy interesting.

For X problems, trying a lower resulation setting, and/or less colors is a good place to start. Booting to run level 3, and running tools like drakxconfig is a good place to start. You can tweek settings, and try them out without having to reboot.

When it comes to things like being able to access a machine by IP address, but not name, you have to learn about DNS, and how it works. I don't know how to give a short and simple explination on how to troubleshoot it. When you tell a machine to connect to another machine, it has to translate the name you give it to an IP address. This is a multi-step process. FIrst, /etc/host.conf to see where it should check. Then it checks the things listed. On my system, it checks /etc/hosts first, and if it doesn't find it there, it then looks at /etc/resolv.conf to get the name server(s) it is susposed to check next.
It then asks the name server for the IP address for the name. So, for machines on your local network, it works out well to have them listed in /etc/hosts. For larger networks, it pays to run a local name server for this...

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!