Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

SnapafunFrank wrote:

Back again.

Everything seemed to burn OK and I can see the whole file structure when I mount the dvd disc.

However, I am unable to open any files. They are listed OK, but as user or root I cannot open them. I get the error message re:

An error occurred while loading file:/mnt/dvd-rw/Bash/HOWTO/Advanced Bash-Scripting HOWTO.html:
Could not read file /mnt/dvd-rw/Bash/HOWTO/Advanced Bash-Scripting HOWTO.html

It was the "Could not read......." bit that had me open konqueror from konsole as root, but the same result.

Any ideas anyone ?

It sounds like the directory structure is there, but not the data it points to. I don't know much about DVD writers, but I have run into this when burning CDs. Sometimes I can get around it by burning at a slower speed, but sometimes the only fix is to use a different brand of blank media. It shouldn't make a difference, but some drives like one brand of media better then another. And it may be the generic media that burns well, and the more expensive "brand name" media that fails.

I end up keeping a couple different brands of blank media here, because the burners I use don't agree on what media they like best.

Mikkel

Right : A bit of an update.

First, I agree with Mikkel's statement about disc brand. Some are to cheap and nasty to rely upon.

I switched brands and now have no problems filling up a dvd with xcdroast.

I switched back to the cheap ones and burned at speed = 1.0 and they then worked. However, I'm reluctant to trust them now with backups as I am not convinced that they will last. So..... "spend the buck and your burn won't suck" ? [ Sorry - could not resist.]

I have looked for a DVD backup howto and have not found anything suitable.

Could someone here point me in the right direction to find a direct way of backing up the current operating system only, and burning it directly to dvd ?

Traps I have discovered so far involve tar'ing things
( though this is OK I prefer not to tar things at present but look at "splitting" between dvds )
but when I :

#tar -cvzf /backup.tar.gz  /

the whole " / " partition AND all the mount points get backed up and this includes my slave drive, windows partition and another Mandrake installation from the past ~ some 60gigs worth. Something I'm not keen to do or try at this point.

I simply want to back up the current system with a view of formating and installing Mandrake10.1 onto a clean system. The dvd then could be used as a reference media .

And yes, I am interested in the tar way for normal system backups going directly to dvd for later use.

Also, selective or updated backup methods that involve simply updating the backup'ed files onto a dvd-rw. ( The " - " is intended here as this Sony 4.7GB DVD-RW is one that works for me faultlessly using xcdroast. )

Er.... enough for now me thinks.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213