Fernando Arturo Gómez Flores wrote:

However, while the installation was OK (not a single error), when I started
the system up, when loading the Mandrake GUI selector (I actually don't know
its name, hope I made myself clear: that is, where you should enter the
username and password) the system didn't react. It wasn't frozen because
when I entered Ctl+Alt+Backspace, the X system stopped alright.

Yes, this is exactly the same bahavior as the one I have with may computer.

In the first place, I though it had something to do with my hardware.
However, when I started up the system WITHOUT authomatic X window startup
(that is, only the terminal), and when I write (after the login)
# startx
the X Window (with KDE) started without problems.

This doesn't work for me, though. I mean kde doesn't start but no problem with gnome or xfce.

Hence, I suspected that
the problem was indeed the GUI Selector. Then, in the configuration panel, I
changed the default manager from Mandrake's own to KDE's or GNOME and now
everything works fine.

I have tried it too but to no avail. Thanks for your help.

Michel
--
Michel Leunen
http://www.leunen.com/