On Wednesday 16 March 2005 20:48, Michel Leunen wrote:
> H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> > Well people can call me chicken but I never, NEVER upgrade a KDE that's
> > running on my install.....I prefer waiting for the next general distrib
> > upgrade (which is never very far away in mdk's case).
>
> I'm not 100% sure that my problem is a consequence of an upgrade but I
> think i'll follow your advice in the future.
> Thanks,
>
> Michel
apparently your problem isn't solved yet...so let's take a few tests:

After booting up into xfce4, open a terminal and try to start konqueror from
there.....copy (select with left mouse button and paste with middle button)
the error messages and mail 'em to us.

On top of that start a new session by doing <CTRL>, <ALT>, <F2> simultaneously
and then logging as you (or any other user you like) at the prompt.
Then at the same prompt:
"startx -- :1"  without the quotes and watch the space between "--" and ":1".

That should open up a second X(kde)session on <CTRL>,<ALT>,<F8>....check
<CTRL>,<ALT>,<F7> to go back to check your running xfce4 session if you
care;)

And go back to the original <CTRL>,<ALT>,<F2> to see the error messages it
produces in respect to kde.

If you want to see how it should work ergo a working Xsession kill the
running/frozen session with  <CTRL>,<ALT>,<backspace> and enter "startxfce4
-- :1" at the prompt.
--
Good luck,
HarM