Tom wrote:
John or Margaret Montgomery wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:44:07 -0600
Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Nope! 'Big name', or well know brand names mean very little, more often, absolutely nothin! Practically no brand name media are made by the advertised vendor. The only way to know for sure who actually makes the disk is to do;

Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas

This is not DVD but I recall several years ago, asking a salesman about the differences between different CDs. His answer was - price!

Since then I have bought only on price. A few coasters have turned up but I could always account for them by my stupidity.

John Montgomery
Vernon BC

You managed to get a knowledgeable salesperson ;) I quit botherin askin who actually manufactured the media. Mostly I got a blank stare. They bank on the premise that most all the public thinks big brand names have to be better.

OTOH, the big brand names do _usually_ put better, more durable coating (the label side where the recording is actually done). This is important if you're fixin to handle the CD's a bunch, or store them for a while. So considerin that, it's often worth payin twice the price to get media that's all made by the same damn manufacturer anyhow. I suspect the brand names buy the cheap 'generic' CD's, then add the extra 'branded' coating on top of the generic manufacturers.

In this sense the result is not more reliable for burnin, but will survive more handlin an storage.

I usually put a pretty printed label on them anyway, so that is less of a problem. But one day I would like to get one of the printers that will print directly on CDs/DVDs. But they require printable CD blanks anyway. (I do have a bunch of business card size that are printable...)

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!