On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Sam Roza wrote:
  |  Hello All,
  |
  |  I am new to the list, and am having difficulties.
  |
  |  Last night I tried to install Linux-mandrake and it went GREAT, until I got
  |  to X setup. I just can't seem to get my settings right. I am installing on
  |  a Compaq Deskpro P166 with a soundblaster(this worked in the installation)
  |  and a Cirrus logic video board(I don't know what chipset or RAM).
  |
  |  The first time I loaded it, I got into KDE(X?) but the screen was so messed
  |  up I couldn't use it, and I couldn't find a way to reset the video
  |  settings. I was reserved and I ended up re-installing linux a few times
  |  before I got a successful install.
  |
  |  Now that everything is complete, and I can use unix(with my limited
  |  knowledge of unix it is difficult for me), from a console to be ROOT, and
  |  run Xconfigurator. After setting up Xconfig with my monitor's settings, and
  |  having it probe my adapter(when it probes, the specs sound right), but then
  |  the test screen comes up and asks "Can tyou read this message?" and I can
  |  read the message, but the boxes below are all skewed...
  |
  |  I got it looking decent and selected yes when it asked my if I could see
  |  the message. Now it freezes when going into X...PLEASE HELP!!
  |

  |  Regards,
  |
  |  Sam Roza
  |  Lead Customer Service Representative
  |  (408) 527-2926
  |  GE Capital - IT Solutions
  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sam,

When you start your system, at the LILO prompt try "linux 3" (without the
quotes). This will start you in the command line mode. Then try "setup" (again
without the quotes) as the "root" user. Now you can select the option to set up
the X-server for your system. You will need to know the verticle and horizontal
refresh rates for your monitor, as well as the information for your video
controler. If you have this information available, use it and do not probe the
video device. I have heard that this has helpped several users get things set
up ok.

HTH,

Ernie