Sam Roza wrote:

> Ernie,
>
> I am past this now...I know the chipset(GD5436), and the RAM is at least 2
> MB(there's a Kingston VRAM upgrade on the motherboard). I've run xf86config
> and Xconfigurator so many times I can enter all responses without looking
> now.     I also have the specs for my monitor, and setting the correct
> settings does nothing but give me a screen so huge in size that I have to
> scroll my mouse in all directions to see it.
>
> Still nothing(as my last posts say)...I've updated my config file just like
> the readme's say and I'm at my ropes end.
>
> I don't think I've ever had this much trouble with Win95...

Don't despair!

Sounds like you've got all of the beginnings working, now it's just time
to tune the behaviour.  Go ahead and start X again into that huge
desktop.

Try the Ctrl-Alt-NumPad+ and Ctrl-Alt-NumPad- key combinations to see if
any of those help with the big desktop issue.

Really, it's just a matter of editing /etc/X11/XF86Config to get rid of
the resolutions that you don't want.  But first, make sure that the
larger resolutions really work.

Drop a note back if this helps.

--
Steve Philp, MCSE / MCP+I