charles:

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I followed someone's advice on
Linuxnewbie.org last night and went into the Win2k recovery console (**I DO NOT
have the Win2k rescue floppy discs!!**), I ran the fixmbr and fixboot commands
as suggested, and it said it rewrote the mbr ok (to C:). I then restarted and
it said NTLDR not found (which I guess is the Win2k bootloader). I then booted
with a Win98 boot disk to check and see if my data was still there, and all it
had listed was  *one*  9gig file (which is about about right in terms of data,
but not 9gigs in just one file!). Also, in FDISK, it is reporting my Win2000
drive as FAT12, and not FAT32! I then ran Partition Magic and it has my Win2k
drive1  listed as FAT32X with a 7.8 MB "free space" partition (?), and drive 2
(the Mandrake drive)  says "critical error 110" partition table corruption (or
something like that) When I go back into Mandrake and browse my Win2k drive, it
lists about 100 small byte-sized executable files with garbled labeling for
each file (i.e. "0112tgs.exe")...So, 2 years of work and 10 gigs of data all
lost, or so it seems right now. Not to blame or diss Mandrake, but I have
installed/used extensively Redhat 5.0, 6.0, 6.1, Suse 6.2, and 6.3 (my last
distro), and this is the absolute WORST experience I have ever, ever, had with
Linux. Lilo doesn't work, My CD-Rom will not work, Mandrake has no phone
support (SuSe and Redhat do) and now 10 gigs of data GONE. It's ironic too,
because Mandrake has this "easy to use and install" perception about it, but
that was by no means my experience with this product. At any rate, I'd like to
thank the people that have helped out.