> I mostly agree with you....  but   =)  i use CS from way
> back in the day when CS was for computer geeks, and when
> it was a good service.  when i started on computers i never
> called a tech line once, got all my support thru CS,
> especially for Logitech (spelling?) products.  it was great.
> i must agree with you now.  when AOL brought CS i thought i
> was gonna cry.  it sucks today.  i stick with it only
> because i want to keep my email address as everyone has it.
> i haven't tried to connect yet, so i don't know if it can
> be done (under linux).  i have to buy a real modem first.
> winmodems... gotta love 'em.  when i bought my PC i wondered
> what that little "designed for Windows 98" sticker on it
> ment.  now i know.  *groan*

Compu$erve was always little more than a glorified BBS.  However, back
then there was little choice, and Compu$erve was, as you say, the best
of the bunch, if a little pricey.

The trouble was, Compu$erve never really moved with the times.  They
were always slow, and always expensive compared to the others.

The vast majority of Compu$erve users today probably fall into two
categories.  The 'old timers' who keep it rather than lose their e-mail
address (as in your case) and the newbies who don't know any better.

I can fully sympathize with you about your e-mail address.  When I left
the UK I had to quit my old account, and was heartbroken at losing the
e-mail address that had been my trademark for close to a decade.  It was
like the death of a close friend.

In fact, I am seriously considering re-instating my old account if my
finances allow within the required timescale!  The advantages of
unlimited mailbox size, unlimited e-mail addresses, etc. are very
tempting, even though I would never be dialling into the account (just
remotely logging onto the POP3 server).

As for AOL, quite apart from the crap service, there are WAY too many
lamerz on it.  It can therefore be very difficult to be taken seriously.
I actually know quite a few people who have the aol.com domain in their
killfile - ALL messages from AOL accounts are deleted unread!  Go
figure...

Regards,
Ozz.