I have the same problem. I finally managed to connect to the Internet with my
cable modem by typing '/sbin/dhcpcd -d -n -h coXXXXXX-a eth0', where coXXXXXX
is the client ID, in a root console. This requires you to have the dhcpcd
package installed; it is available on your Mandrake CD.

One problem I have found with DHCP in Linux is that sometimes my machine
loses its network connection, and I have to rerun this command. To combat
this I have put it into a shell script in my path so that I can run it with a
simple command like 'online' instead of '/sbin/dhcpcd -d -n -h coXXXXXX-a
eth0'. Also, I have set the command to run as a cron job every five minutes,
so that if I lose my connection I will be reconnected automatically within
five minutes.

If you want to log-off the Internet, run 'dhcpcd -k eth0'. I have placed this
in a script called 'offline' to make things easier.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
        "One World, One Web, One Programme." - Microsoft Promotional Ad.