On Sun, 03 Dec 2000, you wrote:

> You are right, of course, Linux is a paradise for coders and programmers,
> but beyond that truth is another, even bigger truth. That is that Linux is
> incredibly stable and powerful as a home PC platform as well as a
> dependable business workstation platform

Er, I've managed to crash the entire platform twice and wreak havoc on
numerous apps just by playing around in my account (NOT as root)

Example:
kde control center
look and feel
screensaver
kswarm
setup
move the 'number of bees' slider to 0
this causes the application to 'crash'

Others are less reproducable, but I can cause Kmail to crash by grabbing a
email that I cc'ed to myself, replying to it and changing the subject line
and body - or something like that.  I was being silly and I crashed kmail
twice before I got the hint.

True, my account didn't terminate on those occasions, but what's a stable
platform without stable applications?

--

Yours,

R. Edward McCain