--- s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Great link.  Thank you for the only one that clearly
> explains a possible fix
> for the agpgart failure part.  I may get brave and
> try for the 3rd time.  But
> I do have another newbie problem I hope you may be
> so kind as to assist me
> with.  The install sets up XFree 3.3.6 and though I
> have installed the 4.0.1
> from the cd in preparation for the NVdriver install,
> and I know its on here
> somewhere, X -version reveals that 3.3.6 is being
> used.  How do I ensure that
> my system uses the 4.0.1 rather than the 3.3.6?  (Do
> I need to do anything or
> will the nvdriver setup fix that?)

 Most probably nvdriver wont do anything for that.

 What defines your X version, is the link
/etc/X11/X

 if it is linked to something like
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_XXXX  then it is the 3.3.6

 if it is linked to
/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86    then it is 4.0.x

 Also, /var/log/XFree86.0.log   is the output of your
last X session, and you can find lot sof info there
too, just a good way to check out things :)

 To make it 4.0.x straight delete the link and remake
it in the correct way

 rm /etc/X11/X
 ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 /etc/X11/X

 will do the job. Goodluck