On Monday 08 January 2001 05:23, you wrote:
> On Monday 08 January 2001 09:07, you wrote:
> > All,
> >
> >  I have just bought Mandrake version 7.2, but I have run into a problem.
> > I have a Pentium II  with 2x 30 Gigabyte IDE disk drive ( RAID 1 ). The
> > first problem is related to the LBA issue, e.g. the two disk drives has
> > different geometry, which I now understand makes no difference under
> > Linux. The other is to actually install Mandrake on the two devices (
> > Raid 1 ), or just install on hda and then to run mkraid to create the md
> > devices.
> >
> > Do I need to get another distribution, such as Red Hat ( which supports
> > Raid 1 during installations ).
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me the bullet points
> > for how to implement RAID 1 for Mandrake, for a first time installation
> > from the CD-ROM.
> >
> > I have been successfully running Slackware ( for years ) on another
> > Celeron based system, which is going to be replaced by the above system.
> >
> > Thx,
> > Hans E.
>
> If you have the Promise controller, you can do RAID 1 under any linux, with
> recompilation of the drivers, however, be advised that IDE Raid is not
> hardware.   It is a BIOS/firmware kludge that emulates real hardware RAID.
> If you do not have the promise controller, no linux will support your RAID
> at install or at any other time because the drivers for windows only are a
> tightly kept secret.
>
> There is another option, forget the RAID installed and use the Linux
> Software RAID implementation(there is a HOWTO at linuxdoc.org), which is at
> least the equal of any of the IDE fake hardware RAIDs though it does take
> up a little more drive space and offers more partitions.  All of the IDE
> RAIDs _reduce_ your drive capacity because they keep information to support
> the RAID on cylinders that are destroked (no longer within drive limits for
> normal operation).
>
> If you are dual-booting windows, you can use the "hardware" RAID on board
> for the windows partition and use linux software RAID for all other
> partitions. (Third possible option).
>
> Civileme

You say that if the controller is not Promise that no Linux will support the
controller at install or at any other time.  What about the Compaq Smart-2
controller?   The xconfig gives the option of the Compaq Smart-2 RaidArray
support.  I have tried it and have had some success (Compaq has a patch out
for it..) with it.  But I have gotten detoured to other projects....

--
Mike Mattix
[EMAIL PROTECTED]