Well, apparently supermount support is still missing in the generic 2.4.1
tar.gz cause I went through it again tonight and I saw automount only.  Tried
to use it and choose to configure it in as a module.  Still no fix.  Maybe I
should get the cooker rpms for the kernel.

Oh well, not really such a big deal.  I rarely use the cd or floppy anyway
and mount /mnt/cdrom is such a small little command for those rare
occasions.
-s