perhaps you should consider working for them... i use win2000 cos I
currently have to ....

but I have found very little "innovation" in ms products.. and I ought to
know, used to be an oem reseller....

don't get me wrong, they have developed a good working GUI, but have you
seen Geowrite and goeworks?  I used to have them on my commodore 64 years
ago, and windows still bears a strange resemblance to that....

strange that...

There is no doubt that MS is a competitor,, the simple matter of the fact is
that you seem to support a monopoly in theory..

I am sure if you worked for one of the hundreds of companies that MS crushed
to get where they are, you would have a more wider view of this...

Take for example... right back at the start, IBM and Microsoft where taken
to court  by Digital research who accused them of stealing dos code from
them,, (IBM had to support MS in this because they only had MS dos to work
with back them for the PC)

anyway, they denied it, and tried to prove it by bringing in a PC with msdos
on it, the digital research guy promptly typed in a hidden code, and low an
behold, a digital research copywrite logo appeared in MSdos ... gee, how did
that get there..

obviously MS and IBM lost that case,, and settled.. (although caldera, the
current owner of whats left of digital reseach may be picking up that ball
soon.) anyway, part of the settlement was a gag order,, and thats a standard
tactic for Ms,, every time they lose or settle a court case, they make a gag
order a condition of settlement... which some would argue is a good business
tactic... but its why people like yourself don't hear about all the bad
stuff...

The simple fact of the matter is that when you have 90 odd percent of the
worlds desktop PC's OS, and you offer a bundled  package, the chances are,
if it works, most people won't download and try alternatives...

This is not a variable, it is now court proven and apeal denied.. microsoft
ARE a monopoly, and they DO use that to illegally  leaverage themselves,
which is fine for ordinary bussiness (not the illegal part, but its not
illegal if you are not a monopoly.), but when you have the size and power of
microsoft, you have to be restrained, because new and innovative companies
or just smaller companies, simply can not compete with a product that comes
for "free" with windows..

Also, you have missed the point of the whole standards things,

XML, SOAP, Wc3 are all standards bodies of recent vintage, they were
designed to enable companies to create "innovative" product that put
everyone on an equal footing... and Sun, Netscape and the other participants
are following them almost religiously... NS 6 beta is a buggy but almost
exact to the letter implimentation of the standards
IE5.5 isn't...

There is no real standard yet for instant messaging, streaming media and
some of the other areas...

and I certainly don't blame AOL for locking out others in the instant
messaging protocols,, I would too in their position..

if they let microsoft instant messanger link with AOL, then who would
download the AOL version since the Ms one is "BUNDLED WITH WINDOWS"???  AIM
would go the way netscape is now....

If people had the choise of downloading MS instant messanger or AOL
messanger, then that would be fair... and I would think that people had a
fair choice..

newbies learn what they have in front of them,, and like IE, Ms instant
messanger is part of windows, and once you learn a piece of software, and it
works well enough.. then most people don't go trying the oppositions
product....  its as simple as that, I can't believe you are saying its not
anticompetitive.. it was so blatent that a team of judges couldn't revoke
the ruling of a judge they all declaired to be prejudiced...

Having said all of that, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I
certainly don't begrudge you yours...
Thats what open source is about, the right to choose,, something Ms don't
think we should know we have... (and most newies don't.)

have a lovely day... :-)

regards

Frank